View Single Post
Old 11th November 2014, 18:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianrail View Post
To resurrect this old thread, I was in Helsinki last week and travelled around on the trams quite a lot. I hadn't got to do this on my one and only previous visit to the city years ago. They've got a superb tram system which provides a frequent service all over the city. I was surprised how tight the curves were in the city centre and also that there are a few quite steep hills. I'm guessing that metre gauge is better suited to the tight curves at least.

There is also a metro system. Very clean and efficient. It's basically one line and what amazed me was the depth a couple of the stations below ground in the city centre and the length and width of the platforms. The system looks relatively modern so I don't know whether it was also designed as a shelter for the civilian population in case of attack during the cold war.
You should see the lenght and width of the platforms in the Stockholm underground then. And the artwork at every station.
Sadly, I mostly work inside the tunnels, and not at the stations so I only see the dirty rock tunnels with dirty cables on the wall...