View Single Post
Old 28th September 2021, 08:25

Government to take over SouthEastern

This strikes a chord with me. I started my driving career with ConnexSouthEastern in 1999. For personal reasons I couldn't get out of there fast enough, but I seem to remember that afterwards they had the franchise taken away.

And it appears that this may be happening again (except that Go-Ahead is the franchise holder this time)...

Quote:
The government is taking over the running of the railway operator Southeastern, owned by Go-Ahead, from mid-October after discovering a “serious” breach of the franchise agreement.

The transport secretary, Grant Shapps, said an investigation by the Department for Transport found that since October 2014 Southeastern had not declared more than £25m of historic taxpayer funding that should have been returned, and described this as a serious breach of the franchise agreement’s “good faith” obligation.
Link..
Government-to-take-over-southeastern-after-serious-breach-of-franchise

Mind you, I may be an old cynic, but since this government is taking back franchises into public ownership, whilst swearing blind that it is NOT renationalising the railway (yea, right) - this could be seen as verrrrry fortuitous.

Quote:
The franchise will be run by the government’s in-house operator of last resort – railway managers who already oversee London North Eastern Railway and Northern.
Yup, that's how it's done....

Last edited by Beeyar Wunby; 28th September 2021 at 08:46.