View Single Post
Old 26th August 2019, 06:15

G'day,
I found another couple of two bob coins, so will continue me waffle.
I am reminded of an incident here in regard to confusion.
During the late 1980s til early 1990s, through running of Aussie National motive power occurred.
I have mentioned the smog hollow incident where the crew accidentally crossed the number 3 and 4 hoses.
This preventing the loco independent brake from functioning and stopping the light engine movement.
Subsequently, the gladhands (coupling heads) on the hoses were altered to prevent accidental connection.
Such an event had occurred across the border in Crow Eater country much earlier.
Hence them Crow Eaters had altered their number 3 hose gladhand before we had here.
This then required a special adaptor hose to permit connecting the AN number 3 to our unconverted number 3.
When the through running commenced, our crews were instructed about this situation.
Eastbound interstaters would lob into Goobang Yard (Parkes) NSW worked by the Crow Eater weasels.
Instead of our blokes whistling out of Parkes loco depot with quad glorious Aussie Alco 80 class, we would blast off with two 80s.
Run LE up to Goobang to amalgamate with the pair of Crow Eater hideous EMD earache rubbish to continue east.
The 1 in 40 grades east of Parkes requiring the oomph of four weasels.
This particular day, me old class six driver suggested that I could do the first half from Goobang to Orange.
He wanted to rest his eyelids.
So, after prepping our pair of magnificent 80 class weasels, I drove us LE up to Goobang to hook on.
I asked me mate if he was aware of the special hose adaptor for the number 3 hoses.
YEP, he responded.
So, while he went to ferret out the hose adaptor, I cut out the lead Crow Eater weasel controls and released the loco handbrake.
It was permitted to leave a train unattended providing that the lead loco possessed a 26L (or 30 CDW) brake valve.
A train brake application plus loco brakes holding the train, and handbrake applied to the locos.
Having already cut out the west cab of our 80s upon hooking on, I then went to the east cab to cut in.
Me mate joined me saying that the yard shunter had said that the wagon handbrakes were released.
The shunter would also check that the front wagon brakes operated as per "modified continuity" test.
When no alteration has been made to a train consist, only changing motive power, a modified test is permitted.
The first three wagon brakes of the train are observed during the test to ensure that the brakes are functioning.
Part of the modified continuity when changing motive power is the air leakage test.
A maximum brake pipe air leakage of 35 kpa per minute is permitted.
If exceeding 35 kpa per minute, then the train must be re-examined to discover the cause.
It is also mandatory to make a full service train brake application and release after altering the loco composition.
This ensures that the train brakes will be set for the new locomotive brake valve settings.
While, here all are set for 500 kpa (70 psi), there can be a slight variance between brake valves.
Conversely, down in Tassie the brake valves were set for 550 kpa.
And in the USA, brake valves are set for a minimum of 90 psi, and upwards of 110 psi.
Higher brake pipe pressures provides for a greater length of train to be operated.
So, after the brake pipe had settled at 500 kpa and the flow meter had ceased operation, I made an application.
Cutting out the brake valve when the brake pipe had settled to perform the leakage test for one minute.
The leakage was within tolerance, so I then made the full service application and cut back in the brake valve.
After the brake pipe had settled in full service, I then released the train brakes.
The shunter radioed that the front three wagon brakes were functioning ok.
After checking the dangerous goods and train load paperwork, I advised that we were ready to depart.
Downhill from Goobang to Parkes, I released the loco brakes and took a notch to roll us out of Goobang.
With quad locos, the release of loco brakes can take a little while on the trailing units.
With the train weight shoving us, I was watching the signals.
I then noticed that the engine brake blue light on the control stand was still glowing.
So, I depressed the independent handle to perform a Quick Release.
This works via the number 4 pipe charging it with air to work the loco control valve quick release portion.
The blue light continued to glow.
So, as train speed had increased, I made a train brake application and again depressed the independent.
HMMM, the blue light still shone bright.
The independent gauge brake cylinder pressure needle was pointing to ZERO on the control stand, but something was wrong.
I asked me driver if he had connected the number 3 hoses ok with the adaptor.
YES, he responded.
"WELL, I can't get rid of the blue light", I responded.
"DID you OPEN the number 3 and 4 taps on them AN things", I begged ?
"ER UM, NO, I couldn't find them, so presumed it was automatic", he quipped.
E GADS.
Them stupid Crow Eater weasels have the number 3 and 4 taps hidden behind the pilot skirt.
He had naturally found the brake pipe and main reservoir taps, but not discovered the hidden number 3 and 4.
Having stopped the train, I hoofed back to reach behind the pilot and open them taps.
Returning to the cab, me mate quipped, "Well, you learn something new every day".
Releasing the train brakes and loco brakes, we again began to roll, this time with NO blue light glowing.
This highlights just how familiarization is CRUCIAL for all operation.
Steve.