View Single Post
Old 28th May 2007, 18:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shed Cat View Post
Arn't permissible speeds set by braking distance? It is fairly well known that light engines and especaily steam engines take longer to stop than a whole train because most of the braking is done by the train.

So are air-braked passenger carriages better at stopping than air-braked freight stock?

Shed Cat you are actually straying off on a whole different ball game,
Its been awhile but here goes, Most pass trains run on the twin pipe system where most freight trains run on the single pipe system. By twin pipe I mean that the two rubber tubes (Bags) on the front and rear end of the loco/wagons/carriges are both coupled up throughout the train on a single pipe only the bags with the red handle are coupled.
We now come onto brake timings, on a loco and some types(not all) of freight wagon there is a pass/goods change over lever this changes the timing of the brake. All passanger trains,and freight trains timed to run at 65mph run in the pass timing, freight trains timed to run at 60mph or less run in the goods timing.The diff being that pass timing applies and releases the brake much quicker that in goods (dont ask me the timings as I don't know).
With a freight train in goods and the brake applying slower I assume it cause less wear and tear on the vehs and the track.
There are exceptions to the above as there is throughout the whole NR rulebook but these are far to many to go into on a forum like this but I hope this helps a little.

Les