View Single Post
Old 19th January 2009, 23:20

12ft x 9ft with an operating well in the middle is almost ideal in my book. It offers reasonable operating potential and allows one to avoid the use of tight curves. It is also about as large a layout as one person can do proper justice to if going for a reasonable level of modelling realism.

I'm with Trev up to a point - use one 12ft side as a through station with the "rear" 12ft as a storage/fiddle yard disguised either by countryside or some sort of industrial or dockside branch. I would however advocate a branch terminus on a higher level to add operating interest and "feed" the mainline through station. The branch can rise from an outside bay platform and terminate on the fourth side of the layout. It can be disguised by a scenic break from the through station. Ample storage is an essential and I would advocate a minimum of 3 loops on each of the down and up within the storage/fiddle area. The through station can accommodate a few sidings for freight/shunting and of course the necessary MPD which must be totally out of proportion to "normal" requirements. "You can't have too many locos!"

If you can accommodate it, which I believe you can in 12 x 9, a through line or goods avoiding line will enhance operating potential. I have a 10 x 8 along these lines but I have had to restict storage, I dont have the through line and I could do with one more crossover to aid loco changes at the principal station.

If you'd like a track plan email me.

My electrics involve 3 controllers each with cab control (ie not DCC) I can guide you on wiring but it is a fair undertaking. DCC would be a lot simpler.

Hope this helps. Mike