View Single Post
Old 26th January 2010, 13:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by steam for ever View Post
There is much happening here now. I am partly happy that the 142s have all but been withdrawn but I might well miss them. They were good for sight seeing with those massive windows. With one left which is due to be withdrawn I must say that I am not pleased with 150s being used at all on the line.
Are you saying the line is to become Sprinter only or that Saturday is to become Sprinter only? We do have one of the busiest Northern lines out of Piccadilly on Saturdays and during school holidays so using a larger unit is an advantage. The 142s are certainly not being withdrawn from service as Northern don't have anything to replace them with.

We currently get a unit switch in the early evening on weekdays to get the pair of Sprinters that have run the 15:07 Chester to Manchester service on to the Buxton line and we get a 142 that arrives from Newton Heath to run the 17:09 Manchester to Chester service.

Quote:
On pondering could the 150s be replaced with the odd 158? In the mornings the 150s are not even coming lose to coping.
That's a complicated issue. When Northern took over they sent all the First North Western 158s to Leeds and sent all the Arriva Trains Northern 150s to Manchester. No Northern 158s currently go to Piccadilly so crews haven't retained traction knowledge of 158s. However, Victoria drivers do sign 158s and the Manchester to Chester via Altrincham route and reguarly move the stock for the line between Chester and Manchester (via Warrington) at the beginning and end of the day but Victoria guards don't sign our line so despite the fact Victoria drivers sign the line 158s can't currently appear on the line.