View Single Post
Old 3rd August 2011, 20:53

Exclamation

[QUOTE=Dave Rowland;62773]Phil, I'd welcome ANY railway near me! Our railway in Gosport was closed to passengers in 1953, long before Beeching's railicide, and goods finished in 1969, MoD traffic to Bedenham stopped c.1991, and now the line's being turned into a 'dedicated busway'. Gosport is on a peninsula, and with a population close to 80,000, the two roads in and out are gridlocked at 'rush hours' (rush? - it's taken me over 50 minutes to get 3 miles by bus). Nearest station is Fareham (a half mile walk from the bus station) or Portsmouth Harbour (bus ride + £2.70 ferry ride).
ANY railway!

Have a look:-
http://daverowland.smugmug.com/Gospo...y-Past-Present[/QUOTE

I see what you mean Dave. It seems madness not to reinstate a rail-link with much of the infrastructure still standing! I just cant understand why investment for the long term future of or railway network seems to be nonexistant in some areas! A bus route? come on am I missing something, what about all the polution and limited passenger numbers on a bus?
Anyway re the other comments re Air travel v Rail; for the short haul (up to 2/3 hours flying) it has to be the train due to all the security issues and having to be at the airport 1 to 2 hours before flight. Most airports are well away from city centres meaning more travel time and cost. The carbon footprint on that alone must be massive! The train - does it need an explanation? not to me it do'nt!!