View Single Post
Old 7th March 2022, 23:40

Funnel forward up hill.
I have only swung the banjo on a soot belcher way back in the early 1990s.
But, I do remember one of the usual policies.
Where a steep grade exists on the route, the soot belcher should face funnel forward for the climb.
That ensures that the firebox crown sheet is covered by water.
When running tender forward on a climb, the fireman must maintain sufficient water in the sight glass to ensure covering the crown sheet.
As I discovered on my first run, working bunker forward for the first return to Lithgow climbing the hill to Marrangaroo tunnel, judging that level can be difficult for a novice.
I had to fire against the feed for the climb.
I lost sight of the water glass while inside the tunnel and the soot belcher primed (took water) due to that water level being very high.
The loco inspector was NOT amused when we arrived at Lithgow station.
So, we took the soot belcher into loco to swing it on the turntable to then onwards face funnel forward for that long climb.
Resulting that I didn't need so much water in the sight glass to ensure covering the crown sheet.
As to max speed when running tender forward, the NSWR working timetables listed that.
Such was also generally stipulated in the Instructions for drivers and firemen.
Generally when running tender forward, the max speed was restricted to 40 MPH.
Except when the tender was only a light three axle version in which the max speed was 30 or 35 MPH.
The CME could issue alternate instructions for special conditions to increase that max speed if necessary.
I recollect loco speed regarding direction of travel being mentioned in the forum previously, but forget just which posting that was.
Steve.