View Single Post
Old 20th July 2011, 22:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel French View Post
Thanks you all for your replies. I've been on Amazon and sorted the Platform 5 book out which will really get me going. Thanks also for the suggestions on freight yards - some of them are a bit far away for an afternoon trip but I'm sure I'll get round to all of them sooner or later. I've just started to give myself Sundays off for leisure pursuits so I think it'll be a trip to Tours this weekend. A few years ago whilst on holiday in France I remember visiting a friend whose garden backed on to the main Tours to Nantes line and I recall seeing a train pass by every 10 minutes. I always promised myself a trip to that area again so here goes!
I'll keep you posted.
You might not get to see a lot of freights on a Sunday. The best days for freights almost EVERYWHERE (including the UK) is Tuesdays to Fridays. The main lines near where you live (I looked it up!) are the Paris to Nantes line, between Tours and Nantes, the Nantes to Bordeaux line, and the Paris to Bordeaux line between Blois and Poitiers. If you go to Tours, DON'T go to Tours, go to Tours-St Pierre des Corps, many trains bypass Tours itself. If you're driving, see if you can find a position/bridge overlooking the massive yard north of TSP des Corps station. Bon chance!