Thread: EWS Question
View Single Post
Old 2nd June 2009, 02:01

interesting as I thought all freight via this line runs via Westbury (where i live) with the exception of trains relating engineering work in the area.... The plymouth tanks for example used to run to Westbury, run around its train then run via castle cary to avoid using this line, (now it runs all the way thru Bristol to do the same with out running around its train).

It may have been a one off working. I was always told (although i still not sure if this is true as somethings look doubtful when engineering work and steam specials are taken into account) that freight does not work via the Sailsbury to Exeter line due to lack of paths (due to much of the line being single between yeovil and Sailsbury) and Weight restrictions on some parts of the line... Although when it comes to paths, then i could never understand why the night time return oils to Southampton from Plymouth never ran this way orless the weight restriction part was true, Which then why would engineering trains be unrestricted if ran from Sailsbury or Exeter rather then from Castle cary (where there is a weight restriction on the weymouth line meaning vehicles with RA of 6 or above were previously banned on the line, although now class 67's and 66's with RA of 8 and 7 have now both worked the line)

So dunno, maybe it was driver training for a possiblity of a freight running that way if it was not pulling a train? I'd love to know a answer to this one too!!!