Thread: Trust(TOPS)
View Single Post
Old 26th August 2010, 00:45

A tops sheet is usually sent out to the computor and sign on that requested the consist of a train.
If you are working at a distant location where there is no IT/Fax Machines the shunter has to give the driver a " Drivers Slip. "
This is a preprinted form where the load details can be written down so the driver knows exactly what is train consists of.
Dangerous Goods will be enumerated on the rear of this slip, along with the HAZCHEM details of the dangerous goods.
The shunter will contact his companies tops clerk, who will read out the loadings to the shunter so he has enough information to complete his DS.
If this is a train that has just been formed, the shunter will contact the tops clerk with the numbers of the trucks on this train, and the location and head code of the train EG 6M17 Stourton to Peak Forrest
This train will be unloaded as it is going back to PF.
The tops clerk will enter this train into the system and produce a tops sheet from this information
When M17 is ready to depart, the shunter will contact the Signal Box and inform the signalman that
6mike17 is ready for departure at L1213 signal .
When the train departs Stourton, the shunter will inform his tops clerk that 6M17 has left at 14:15hrs.
When speaking with York Power Box, you have to identify yourself to the signalman, and give him details of the train reporting number using the phonetic alphabet eg 6M17 = 6 MIKE 17 which is stood at Lima1213 signal.
These conversations with the SB's are recorded and you must use safety critical conversations with the box.
Once you have reported the train as ready to go, the signal man will pull off L1213 when he has the road. The shunter then informs TOPS of the departure time.
All communications with the power boxes are recorded, and if there is a mishap they are transcribed onto paper. The transcription can be many yards long.
I also have to examine the train for defects such as broken springs, pipes not properly connected, bottom doors not properly shut or safety catches not properly applied.
I the main thing is to make sure there are no handbrakes left on in the train and that the train is complete with a tail lamp.
Then I watch the train pass slowly infront of me to ensure there are no hand brakes left on or anything elese which may be wrong. This is called a roll by test, Then I give the Slip a stamp which has the words Train Examination Complete with my name onit.
If an incident happens with the train they know right away who prepared the train as you have signed the drivers slip and stamped it .
If I am performing safety critical work, eg shunting, train preparing or any other such task, my mobile is switched off so I have no distractions while I am doing these tasks.
If you make a mistake while performing SC work then the blame is all yours.
Likewise when on a public highway driving to a location the phone is also switched off as it is an offence in law to use a mobile phone whilst driving.

Last edited by HM181; 26th August 2010 at 08:55.