View Single Post
Old 21st June 2010, 13:48

As a student I was a member of Sheffield Model Railway Enthusiasts (SMRE) in the later 1960's to early 1970's and went to help at the exhibitions for a few years afterwards. I too went on occasion to operate Des's WIR.

The clubrooms were in Carver Street and my first exhibition (and maybe second) was in the Cutlers Hall and then they moved to the lower floor of the City Hall. They still meet at a church though I've only been once and that was around 15 years ago and there was no-one there I knew.

Sheffield Midland was the main layout with Raymond Jackson (who had a heart condition and died some years later) and Peter Heath in charge. Raymond had a GWR layout with David someone or other which they took to the exhibitions.

Other people I remember were Bill (surname eludes me) as Chairman, Melvin Stafford as Treasurer, Charlie Foster (who I saw at an exhibition about 15 years ago). Eric Burdett I now remember from the description. There was another Eric surname Slater. I also recall David Smith and Garth P, possibly in their 20's at the time.

Those nearer my own age/younger at the time were Andrew Gray (who died of a barin tumour sometime in the 1970's aged around 19 or 20 - the club had a trophy in his memory) and his mates Steve and Paul, Philip Vickers (who I kept in touch with until he too died) Paul Antcliff (who was working for the railways when I met him in the 1980s), Philip Stanley (who I believe also worked for the railways at Doncaster) and his mate David, Charles Ballin (who I see from time to time now in Luton) and his mate Martin (possibly in the Newcastle area?), Nigel Lemons who operated Green Midland with myself on Green Junction on many an occasion, and many more who I can't put a name to or recall at this moment.

There about 120 members at the time I joined but I think the paperwork I kept from those days were lost when I moved house. They did "publish" a guide to the Sheffield Midland some years later and I think I have a copy somewhere - pity it got scrapped (possibly bar a few buildings from the station). Happy days!