Thread: Hungate Bridge
View Single Post
Old 1st April 2008, 18:53

Hungate Bridge

Three years ago, I attended a Wisbech & March Bramley line meeting where afterwards, I enquired about Wisbech Model Railway Club and got told it had closed many years previous due to lack of support. It later turned out there had never been a club in the town.

Upon reaching home again and in Wisbech where we then lived, my Partner suggested I tried to start one up and so we set about designing headed notepaper, got an E-mail address for it and contacted the local press, seeking anybody interested in starting one up. Quite literally, less than three weeks later, we held our first meeting in 'The Club' as we now call it, which is really the conservatory of the home of two married members. When I first got the call from the gentleman offering us their home to meet, because of his name, I thought it was a wind-up. Upon calling him back, arranging to meet and then doing so, I found him to be very genuine.

At the first meeting, there were 28 people came along, but sadly because of varying reasons, many opted not to come again and so we now have a staunch membership of 15. It was then decided to build an end-to-end layout and based on no particular place, apart from somewhere in East Anglia. The gent who owns the building very kindly donated the timber for the frames and trestles on which to place the baseboard.

Three years later, we have built and now operate a layout of 22 feet long and 2 feet wide, with still some parts to be finished off including the adding of signals, plus an extention in order for everybody to get a chance to operate it. There are some photo's of it on our website www.freewebs.com/wismrc and in the album. To take advantage of seeing them at their best, click on slideshow, sit back and enjoy them. You will see towards the end, we have attended an Exhibition. In fact we did two on two consecutive weekends and not only did we get a very warm welcome from both, but we thoroughly enjoyed our time at them as well.