View Single Post
Old 26th December 2007, 21:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains View Post
I don't think those concerned have any real desire to provide a train service over the Christmas period. Although privatisation is partly responsible, it can't be blamed entirely as for many years negotiated work arrangements have strived to eliminate Christmas working wherever possible. ..........................
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghut View Post
Where does this come from ? I don't know of any TOC in my (London) area which is prevented by local agreement from bringing in its workforce on Christmas Day. The series of Drivers Restructuring Initiative agreements in the mid 1990s enabled most companies to persuade their staff to give up the old working practices of the BR regime in return for pay settlements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghut View Post
We're paid silly money for Christmas and I reckon you'd see drivers fighting to be given the longest turns ! We certainly wouldn't object to working Christmas day - Bring it on !!

You misunderstand me Foghut
The negotiated working arrangements to which I refer have been established over many decades and apply not just to the railway industry. I agree that the Drivers Restructuring Initiative agreements of the mid 1990's did reverse many of the old agreements and that a TOC can bring in it's workforce on Christmas Day but at what cost?
You admit to getting paid "silly money" for Christmas but railway staff need to be willing to work for a sensible rate if they are going to provide a service that is economically viable in the eyes of the TOC's and I don't think that many of them would. Hence the reason why I said that I didn't think those concerned (TOC's and Staff) had any real desire to provide a train service over the Christmas period.