View Single Post
Old 11th August 2011, 01:53

Well...I have to say chaps, I don't think that HS2 will ever be built. I don't like it, like you.....and Pete, I think that it's a must! But I've been listening to the Parliament Channel HS2 Committee and the NIMBYS have hired clever lawyers etc to fight their case. They are rich, powerful and totally uncaring about the needs of the rest of the country. All they care about is the view from their window......in my book they're tantamount to being traitors to the country they profess to love.

Pete BTW missed a very important point when the NIMBY said: "Look at HS1, it was supposed to carry XXX amount and it's only carrying X amount!"

Mr Nimby, that's probably because it ONLY serves London! Connect it to the rest of the nation and see what happens!.....

I travel in Germany a lot, by car that is, on holiday. For several years we watched as a HS railway was built for the ICE trains, from Garmish-Partenkirchen all the way via Munich - Frankfurt A.M. to at least...Cologne and possibly further.

It was NOT built piecemeal, a little bit at a time....

It was built by men and machinery along the whole route at once! You could watch the work beside the autobahn as you drove along. New track bed, tunnels, bridges, viaducts...stations (like Frankfurt Airport) the whole length at once. Hundreds of miles........not a mere 90 to Birmingham which will take at least a decade and cost a fortune because the NIMBYS are standing in the way of progress and thereby costing the nation a fortune in legal costs and other obstructive measures until it is dropped!

Pete is right....but I fear he is the only man batting.