View Single Post
Old 20th September 2006, 23:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains
Trev,
Can you give more details of the derailment problems you are having? If laid properly, Setrack points are usually pretty reliable and most derailment problems can be traced to the wheels of the locos and rolling stock. Does the derailment occur at the "point blade" or on the "frog"?
It's difficult to say. The front bogie goes through okay, but the rear one tries to divert over to the other route. And the same thing happens if I turn the locomotive around so that the trailing bogie becomes the leading one. I'm thinking that it's possibly a defective point 'cos coaches sometimes have the same problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains
This unfortunately is a common problem with some British N Gauge. The original standard spring-loaded Arnold "Rapido" coupling, although not very nice looking, is quite reliable but over the years various manufacturers have brought out their own versions of it.
Way back in the early 70's, a schoolfriend used to have a fairly large N layout in a garden shed. All of his stock was Minitrix and I don't recall him having any problems with couplings so I reckon you're right. Trying to couple a locomotive up to wagons is something of a nightmare, and once I manage it, watching an open mineral wagon doing its version of a slip coach is almost guaranteed. What would you suggest? Weights?