View Single Post
Old 22nd February 2010, 01:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard thompson View Post
I agree with ccmmick. If you get hit by a train you are in serious trouble. Those that "survive" probably get out the way before bing struck and therefore have not survived being hit by a train. Don`t think it matters what jargon they use myself.
Richard
Is this your own personal experience, or are you just guessing? Perhaps I should give a little more detail. If you have a squeamish or sensitive disposition then don't read any further.

Certainly if you are in the four foot and are hit by the main bulk of the train (couplers, buffers, body) then you will receive an enormous amount of kinetic energy. This is highly likely to be fatal.

Sometimes people aren't in the middle or don't get hit squarely, so are side-swiped by the peripheral equipment such as shoe gear or sole bar plates. This is usually fatal but people have survived despite considerable physical trauma.

However in many cases people jump into the path of a train. It's hellishly difficult to estimate the exact time to launch yourself when the train is thundering at you, and people often get it wrong. If they go early they land on the ground and parts of them get run over by the train, which often results in amputation. Sometimes they bleed to death before medical help reaches them, and sometimes they survive.

In any case, it sadly isn't the 'quick end' that they had anticipated.

So the purpose of dropping the word Fatality when advising the public, is to end the myth that the train always kills you.

You may think it's petty but surely it's worth a try - for everybody's sake ?