View Single Post
Old 23rd January 2014, 15:37

With respect Gents, we could discuss this topic until the cows come home as the saying goes, but there will forever be one out there to take that chance.

The level crossing on the BBC site is actually at Waterbeach, between Cambridge and Ely, and featured on the local news here again last night. With me, where there are No barriers, I am always weary about crossing even if the lights do not flash before the barriers descend, as like anything else, these too do get faults as we are aware.

Re the two youngsters killed at Elsenham a few years ago, when I worked on this line as a revenue Protection Inspector and needed to alight for whatever reason, the pedestrian crossing WAS always locked when trains were due to pass through, or stop. Sadly, these two girls were killed after I left that area, so don't know Why the gate wasn't locked.

I read in a paper this morning where a youngster originally from Pakistan, enquired about a train he wanted to catch and jumped down on to the trackside, putting his ear to the Live rail and obviously got electrocuted. He came here about 6 months ago, and apparently in Pakistan, they put an ear to the rail to listen for an approaching train. Ouch!