View Single Post
Old 4th September 2009, 09:32

00 farish

My first " train set" was 00 Farish bought as a birthday gift in about 1950. It comprised a Black 5 with half a dozen trucks and a guards van. The track was a simple circle of somewhat overscale dimensions. The controller, also Farish, offered rather crude insensitive control using only three positions in either forward or reverse. But well made nevertheless.
The loco was a really solid cast metal affair and tender driven with a most ingenious motor which had a cranked drive shaft opening and closing circuits instead of the conventional segmented commutator. Later I used the loco and a Farish Prairie Tank most successfully with a decent controller on a 'proper' layout.
All rolling stock was of good quality cast metal frames and bodies but abyssmal plastic wheels with flanges prone to chipping. And the worst hook and bar couplings imagineable.
Farish also made other rolling stock, including Pullman coaches. I had a few of these. Good looking products but still the poor wheels and couplings.

I made a terrible mistake in selling my Farish stuff ( about 20 years ago) and have regretted it ever since.

Alex10