View Single Post
Old 14th June 2019, 08:46

Yeh, modern day railway dunnies ain't no fun at all.
I remember them good ole days when you copped a breeze wafting up through the exhaust pipe.
And, if yer eyesight was good enough, you could squiz the lumps of ballast zooming past.
Mind you, the poor car and wagon examiners in Lithgow did get aggro when required to examine the Silver Streak brakes during the motive power exchange.
Patrons obviously not reading or obeying the dunny sign extolling DO NOT use when train is stationary.
After a couple of flushing events, them car and wagon examiners banned performing the brakes exam in Lithgow.
With the Silver Streak parked on platform 1 in smog hollow, them brakes could not be examined down there.
I also remember when trekking around Kiwiland an incident that caused some amusement.
I was riding the brand newbie eggspress to Wellington from Palmerston North.
First day of revenue service.
Kiwirail had acquired some of yer Pommy mark 1 coaches to revamp for their narrow gauge.
The Kiwi loading gauge being similar to that in the UK could squeeze them cars onto squished bogies.
The train featured a new style of plug door for maximum SAFETY.
But, just a single door existed on each side at diagonal ends of the car.
I had gone to sleep to be rudely awoken at some location by some LOUD screaming.
It transpired that the sheila attempting to alight at the station could NOT get the door to open.
She panicked, and instead of sprinting through the vestibule to the adjacent car to gt off commenced a loud scream.
The guard fortunately appeared prior to the train blasting off.
He was not able to get the door to open.
So, he marched her through to the next car to get off.
The brand newbie eggspress was a bit of a failure as a number of other doors had caused problems.
Bring back the olden days dunnies and flapping open in the breeze doors.
Steve.