View Single Post
Old 8th December 2020, 10:41

Back in the day I had a few dates with Julie Andrews (no not that one) she said a youth club in her town had wanted to engage the Beatles, but they wanted £30 plus their clothes cleaned, the club couldn’t afford it. I usually put a zero on the back of these figures for a better idea of what the figures would be today. Still not the telephone number fees they would command a few months later. Later in the 60’s I recall Mick Jagger saying: “We don’t do one night stands anymore, after all the expense is taken away you are left with about £200, not worth the bother!”
I went to a dance in the Channel Islands in 1964, the Hollies were playing. I reckon the booking was made before they had become well known. I took this girl home and when walking back passed the ballroom Allan Clarke came out with two guitarists, I was treated to a free session when following them down to St Hellier.
One of those Heartbeat episodes is about a hillclimb car race, some farmers objected to the noise; one chopped a tree down across the road and poured pig slurry for the cars to skid out of control. Can’t help but chuckle thinking this could be Aussiesteve, he isn’t keen on the Bathurst races. Well the forum is quiet.