View Single Post
Old 26th October 2007, 08:15

Railway Wonders Of The World

1. Transiberian line Moscow to Vladivostock
2. Tibet link from China
3. Trans-Australia lines Melbourne/Sydney - Hobart/Perth
4. Chicago- S.Francisco lines (UP and SF, now Amtrak)
5. Lima-Oroya in Peru
6. Capetown-Johannesburg/Pretoria - S.Africa
7. Glacier Express Andermatt-St.Moritz - Switzerland
These are my favourite. Please send your contribution!
Hi Folks,
I make myself alive with this proposal.
I ask: if there has been a quest for the new seven wonders of the world, followed by the quest for the natural wonders of the world, why not launch a quest for the seven railway wonders of the world.
I hope this proposal can put this Forum, as the promoter of this quest, to the forefront of the most visited sites. I hereby ask the webmaster to launch links on the internet and invite railfans to join in this particular issue.
Before any proposal is made, I mention the Railways which are within the UNESCO World Heritage Sites, and which therefore are outsiders:
Austria - The Semmering Pass Railway
India - The Darjeeling Himalayan Railway opened in 1881, and the Nilgiri Mountain Railway, completed in 1908
Italy - Indirectly, the Railway lines in these heritage sites: Val d'Orcia which hosts "Treno-Natura", Portovenere and the five Lands, which are connected by rail and not by road, the historic centres of Rome, Florence, Naples, Siena.
Other Countries - Any site which has railway line inside.
My first proposal for a Railway Wonder and Engineering Achievement is the Railway of the Krasnoyark Shipyard in Russia, 9-metre gauge (that's 30 feet), the vehicle being a water filled basin going uphill! Have a look at it on the parovoz.com site.
Have your say - Cheers from Dario

Last edited by dario; 11th January 2008 at 13:11. Reason: Make available instant list on top