View Single Post
Old 8th July 2012, 13:04
Station Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanulphTheCat View Post
Hi all
Was anyone able to scare up any more information on this? I also have the 70047 version of the Iron Duke, with the three Pullman carriages (unboxed) and I'm unclear on whether the 70014 or the 70047 version is the rarer... both seem pretty uncommon, judging by the Internet's virtual silence on this matter! I've looked at the MRE website but haven't been able to find a forum or contact link for Pat Hammond.
Best regards, Doug
Welcome to the Forum Doug.

It is getting increasingly difficult to get accurate values as there are people out there who are willing to pay silly prices especially on ebay. A good example is Hornby's re-released NRM Duchess of Hamilton. Even after Hornby announced the re-release of this model in their 2012 Catalogue, examples were fetching £175 plus on ebay. I picked up one of the 2012 models at my local model shop for £107! (pre-order price.)

For sometime I have been after a copy of Historical Locomotive Monographs, V0l. 1 LMS & LNER Garrats by Essery and Toms. A recent visit to the Amazon Site came up with four copies at £10; £30; £40 & £100. No prizes for which one I bought, which was from a well known Railway Bookshop and was in perfect condition.

As far as the Hornby Brittania "Iron Duke" is concerned there is a problem. I am assuming that the model in questions is R056, produced 1975-76. According to Ramsay's British Model Trains Catalogue by Pat Hammond there are four versions all with the same number. I only have the 2006 5th edition so the values quoted are out of date but can be used for comparison:

70047 early crest, unlined, no smoke deflectors: £120.
70047 late crest, unlined, no smoke deflectors: £35.
70014 late crest, unlined, no smoke dflectors: £40.
70014 late crest, unlined, smoke deflectors: £120.

Pat Hammond notes that it had a ringfield motor tender drive and sticker name plates. It was a cheap mail order model.

I note that you say yours is unboxed so this will devalue the model considerably. Boxes and condition have quite an effect on price!

Pat Hammond is due to publish a Hornby only Guide next Winter which will be considerably cheaper than the full Ramsay's Guide. He has already done one for Bachmann which is very useful.

In the meantime it might be worth writing a letter to the MRE for publication. Guidance on submissions and details of the Hornby Guide will be found towards the bottom of the current edtion of MRE at

http://www.mremag.com/

Hope this is helpful.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Belper Model Railway Group.