View Single Post
Old 11th March 2008, 19:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghut View Post
The concept is fine, but the problem is what is done with the information.
As a group we do not need to 'worry' too much as to what will be done with this information. The project is set up as though we have been given the task of increasing accuracy of current technology. We have also been given guidelines that suggest using the method I wrote about earlier (sending pulse....receiving reflection....)

We have decided as a group that we need to focus on a particular type of track, as they do vary quite a lot, in terms of electrification, characteristics etc.... From what I've read and looked up it seems that most mainline railway lines are powered by 25kV AC 50Hz. Am I correct in this?

As you pointed out, we would need to know the 'noise' generated by the traction systems/electric motors and also the noise generated by the electrification system. Once these are known we should theoretically be able to filter them out. I've been searching forthis info but I honestly have no idea where to start! There is just so much information around. Any pointers....

I have also been trying to find the characteristics (generally) of a railway line in terms of impedance and admittance (resistance, inductance, conductance and capacitance). With these figures we should be able to work out the 'best' frequency to send down the line.