View Single Post
Old 16th March 2012, 19:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Road View Post
Some good points in this latest reply.
Section of quote:
Apparently it is cheaper to pay compensation than to have rescue infrastructure in place. There are many examples of perverse regulations in the industry that should be swept aside.
Very good point and one that shows just how bad this industry has become (in fact the nation as a whole is fast becomming a culture of claimants)
Having read a lot of view points in this thread and understanding the issues with nationalization in the past, and I fully accept times when BR became a disfunctional company, I still maintain that re-nationalization woulkd be the way to go. We can learn so much from the issues the French had and also the past, but I firmly believe that with the right management we can once again become great. We can have a system where railways service the greater ecconomy in all areas of our country. We can vastley reduce polution from the burning of fossil fuels, cost of building roads and maintenace for example. OK I agree door to door would be difficult but there is nothing wrong with providing local delivery services. That would provide additional opportuities for local businesses to bloom!
Yes it would require commitment and huge investment but done correctly we could once again be world leaders.
All the best
Phil