Thread: A Sad Sad Story
View Single Post
Old 13th January 2010, 14:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflector View Post
Yes, a sad tale indeed. Although, like most of us, I do at times get cheesed off at the worst excesses of the Heath and Safety brigade, we do need to bear in mind that a lot of it is for our own protection and that before the Health and Safety at Work legislation, too many people were killed or seriously injured simply trying to earn a living. I suppose the problem is trying to get the balance right.
As I work in the Health & Safety field, I can tell you two things.

Firstly, a lot of the things that people are supposedly banned from doing by "Health and Safety" is mythical. The ammount of things our lads complain about being banned from doing because of "Health & Safety" is quite laughable really.

Having said that we really push hard certain things people tend to hate but are very important. The key one which applies to the Railway Industry is wearing your high-vis, safety boots, and hat. You might not have needed them in the "old days", but a lot more people would still be around to make that moan if they had.

The other issue is the strictness of Health & Safety is down purely to the fact that, if you do have an accident, the first thing people do is put a financial claim in against the company for breaching Health & Safety. If we have one little detail out of place then the court rules in the claimant's favour.

Doomed if we do, doomed if we don't in this job.