View Single Post
Old 1st December 2011, 09:31

Not really sure where my interest came from, Dad was an aircraft enthusiast and he passed on his love of aeroplanes to me. We spent many hours together on airfields and at home we used to make models together. I can remember as a child going with my Gran on holiday to Wales every year and running along behind her friend's house was a railway serving the coal mine. I spent many happy hours watching the steam engines there.

I got an interest in model railways just after I started work but never quite got round to building one (getting close to starting it now, some 40+ years later.)

When I started working at a builders merchant beside Guildford station was when my interest in railways started to really grow and then a holiday in Somerset brought me into contact with the West Somerset Railway and from there on it has just kept growing.

Luckily my wife and daughter don't seem to mind whether they go out to look at aeroplanes or trains so I seem to be in a state of total win. Both of them are keen on the idea of having a model railway in the spare room, the only thing slowing me up at the moment is their regular offers of 'help'.

Now I'm working closer to home and I have Farnborough North station right behind me, sadly though I have no window facing that way so all I can do is listen to the trains going through behind me all day, but that's better than nothing.

My Railway Herald album
http://www.railwayherald.com/imaging...ographer/13870