View Single Post
Old 19th August 2011, 12:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyvern View Post
I'm pretty certain the lines mentioned in the BBC report are all subsidised by the local councils to some degree.

Certainly Derbyshire County County has a strong interest in the Matlock Line since roadworks along the A6 through the Derwent Valley are almost impossible particularly as a it is a World Heritage Area. Businesses are happy for their rates to go towards it as it facilitates tourism.

What you need then is to start a "Friends of the Fawley Line" and look for public support particularly from local businesses and then get the council involved.
While is said it would be good to see it reopened, it wouldn't actually do ME much good, except I'd no doubt travel over it a couple of times. I'm not likely to set up a group either. My local railway (Gosport to Fareham) was closed in 1953, and within the last three years ANY chance of a reopening has gone completely, despite a really appalling road traffic problem.
All reopenings, and, dare I say it, REBUILDING of lines can only be to the advantage of many.
However, as I pointed out, that don't matter one bit to those with the power to authorize/finance these things. 'Convenience' is a word perhaps best confined to the archives; I can see someone discovering it in a long-lost dictionary many years from now:
" 'Convenience' I wonder what THAT means?"
"It says here it means 'toilet facility'"

I think 'Toilet Facility' describes it very well....