View Single Post
Old 21st April 2011, 01:12

Thanks Farren, Yes, I'm a steam model fan and I used to use a certain decoder which came with an 8 pin plug made by Bachmann which I prefered. It had "back EMF" control and was a nice decoder for either steam loco's fitted with sockets or for an earlier model to solder directly after removing the plug. More than anything, the price was right.

This suddenly disappeared from every shop in the land!......all at once!

So, right I thought, prefering Bachmann over Hornby, (a personal preference) I made for the 21 pin Bachmann decoder and ........ shall I say, found my own way of using this fine decoder which also included shunting speed control and back EMF in 8 pin loco's or non-plug models, sorry I can't reveal the secret in the present climate.

This also has suddenly disappeared from every shop in the land!.....all at once!

I do have a small surplus for the immediate future, but the only option now seems to be the Hornby Saphire, at twice the price!........I'm now expecting this to also suddenly disappear quite soon!....

I've prolonged the life of many a nice loco (the worst of which is the old Hornby GWR County Class) It's a complete strip-down I'm afraid, right down to the last nut and bolt......BUT, It can be done!

Come on Hornby and Bachmann! What are you trying to do? Kill all the skills of the hobby and make it simply a: "buy it and plug it" job? Anything we want we will have to buy from you?

I for one feel VERY LET DOWN by you!