View Single Post
Old 20th March 2011, 16:38

my love of trains..........probably because I lived in a back to back house in Dronfield, outside the front door was the main road from Chesterfield to Sheffield and round the back was the main railway line.

the house was very old, we lived there with our great grandma and our parents, early in my life we moved to a village a few miles away Dronfield Woodhouse.

we went to visit, and help gran once a week and I use to remember the train number of any train that went roaring through Dronfield, so at an early age I was trainspotting.

a few years later I would go to Dronfield with a couple of mates in the school holidays and spend the day getting up to mischief and trainspotting, no parental control for the whole time, it was wonderful.

remember once, it was getting rather late, we knew that a train was due, I was with 2 mates, one decided he couldn't stay and started to make his way home, I stayed with George, we went down the embankment, this was at the bottom of Stubley Hollow, and close to the track, the train that went through was Warspite, an engine we had never seen before in all our years of trainspotting.
We use to get certain engines that went through in great regularity, Gilbert & Ellis Islands, Green Howards, being a couple that spring to mind, we were overjoyed to have waited and seen Warspite.

ray............in Batley.

what was the service that went through our region, was it LNER, or LMS? I can never remember.