View Single Post
Old 15th February 2011, 10:39

I live fairly close to the Brighton main line in Purley with a train approx every 1-2 minutes on average and I can't say I hear too many complaints about train noise. We get the odd up (London-bound) Brighton or Gatwick fast bombing through at 80mph-plus which does rattle the windowpanes a bit and can drown out conversation if you're outside. In the down direction the gradient or stop at East Croydon plus adverse gradients keeps them to around 75-ish and makes them far less intrusive.

The vast majority of our trains are electrics though which does help. Probably the only time railway noise has been raised by our residents' assocation are the DB Schenker Class 66 diesels shunting the Days Aggregates terminal in the small hours of the morning though in fairness the company has taken a number of measures to alleviate this. And we get the occasional MPV chuntering away to itself using the Days siding as a refuge late at night, which probably also doesn't impress the neighbours too much.

The biggest railway racket probably comes from the occasional steam special but nobody seems to mind that too much...