View Single Post
Old 22nd September 2010, 12:30

I was in a tram derailment in 1951 at the Elephant and Castle London. I was on the car with my Dad and crossing the multi-junction trackwork there our tram dedided to have some fun. The front truck went the correct way towards Walworth Road but the back one went off toward New Kent Road. Lot of juddering and banging but the car stayed upright. Being a small kid it frightened me but me and Dad were not hurt and had to walk home to Camberwell Gate after that. There is a picture of this incident in one of the London Tramway books

Just to give you an idea of how busy E/C was in tram days see this picture. There were over a 1000 cars per hour at one time which equals 16 cars per minute on numerous routes and it was the largest tramway junction in the world >>>

http://partleton.co.uk/Elephant1922.jpg

P.S Can you imagine the noise of all those trams clattering over all that trackwork. At night it was a firework show with arcing from under the cars as the ploughs broke ontact with the juice rails and I remeber standing there one time in the dark with Mum waiting for Dad and loving all the row of whining motors banging wheels and electrical flashes.

Last edited by enigma45; 22nd September 2010 at 12:52. Reason: typo's & addendum