View Single Post
Old 15th March 2010, 20:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by steam for ever View Post
City of Truo was not official apparently.
It was in my book even though I wasn't there! Now there will be those who know much more than I on this matter so I apologise in advance if I'm not too accurate. I believe that 4472 was the 1st British steam locomotive to achieve 100mph which was recorded scientifically but 3440 achieved 100mph down Wellington Bank in Somerset in 1903 or 1904 although the methods by which this was recorded were not as scientific. However, the GWR felt that they had plenty of evidence to authenticate 100mph and history records the little 4-4-0 as having achieved it. I'm sure the debate will continue but it was enough to secure City of Truro's future in preservation when every other iconic GWR locomotive was cut up (The GWR did not have a good track record - so to speak- of preserving its icons although I believe Mr Churchward was quite upset when his successor Mr Collett arranged to have the GWR's only Pacific 111 The Great Bear, butchered into a "Castle" but that was mainly because its unique boiler was expired. Nevertheless, 111 should really have been saved.) Ironically, the LNER preserved its heritage rather better but, because of Barry, we only have one A3 (and would not have had it except for private money) yet many Castles and 2 Kings!