Thread: Orange line...
View Single Post
Old 19th January 2010, 20:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathbyteacup View Post
Daft question that I'm sure has a boring answer, but it's starting to hurt my head a little now.

Every UK train currently being used today has, as far as I can tell, an orangey-redish stripe around the roof that rises at the cab or front ends, and to be honest I don't really know what it's for.

Metrolink trams also appear to have the stripe and I can't really think of the reason for it's existance except perhaps it having something to do with overhead lines and it perhaps representing not to go above that point for some reason but I find that a possibly silly theory.

Anyway I guess there's a simple answer to the question but Google isn't giving me answers and I wondered if anyone here could explain it, as it's been on my mind for a while now.

The orange line was originally aplied to AC electric locos as a warning to staff about the presence of overhead wires.

On December 5th 1985 there was an inspection of 56039 with a white warning line and 31198 with an orange warning. Major PM Olver of the Railway Inspectorate was there and having viewed both locos in daylight, failing light and under the yard lights gave the instruction for all locos to be given the orange line.

Regards

Simon