View Single Post
Old 23rd October 2009, 13:05

My grandfather was a railway guard working at Penrith, subsequently ending up at Blackpool where my father was born and where I now live. My uncle was a railway driver and though my father didn't follow in these footsteps, he did develop a mini obsession with all things trainy He had a lovely Hornby railway set and as he got older he collected model trains mainly used as ornaments. The old guards lamp from my grandads career was restored and used as a lamplight in our porch and we were constantly taken on 'mystery tours' in the school holidays ending up as far away as Ayr, my mum would make her own bread buns for sandwiches on route and all in all they were happy times.
I didnt purposely pursue this hobby, but find myself booking tickets for train journey's almost monthy now, getting excited about which train will be carrying us and dreaming about taking the Glasgow to Euston sleeper - all in good time

Anyway - I am a complete novice, but intend roaming the site for a while to sponge in more information before I can start taking photo shots myself