View Single Post
Old 7th September 2009, 22:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxwall View Post
To reply to Swisstrains; i am a diesel loco fan, but have an interest in all railway traction.

You are not wasting your time your point has been made well. I agree that society equates progress with faster journey times and that electric trains are best placed to achieve this.

But as a 'rail enthusiast' and 'a grumpy old man' progress has to be seroiusly questioned.
It's true that faster journey times can result from electrification but there are far more benefits than just being able to speed from A to B in the shortest possible time. I see that you have chosen to ignore such things as increased line capacity, the potential for reduced pollution and lower operating costs.

Quote:
- The simplistic character of the railway is lost with unsightly wires and gantries.

- You get newer trains with newer technology, but the pollution is hidden. Do we really get cleaner trains ?

- I find the idea of very fast electric trains scary. TGV's or Bullet Trains in the densely populated UK ? (perhaps i'm being irrational here )

- I just feel more comfortable that the motive power on a train should be produced on board (Again more simplistic, with less issues concerning the ever complicated politics of generating electricity)

Talking of politics we have had patchy electrification giving some cities a so called economic advantage and status over others. Although i'm sure (diesel Sheffield) manages just as well as (electrified Leeds).

We as a society are obsessed with squeezing more and more out of life, i don't think this is necessarilly a good thing.
I'm afraid I can't suggest any cure for your paranoia.

Quote:
Railways in the UK should rebel against progress. Which company would you choose if travelling from Birmirmingham to London at 9.00am ?

Scenario 1 Chiltern trains DMU 165 2x 350 hp Perkins engines, top speed 75mph, journey time 2h 18m, return ticket £26.90.

or

scenario 2 Virgin trains EMU 390 Pedolino 5.1 MW output, top speed 140mph (restricted to 125mph), journey time 1h 24m, return ticket £61.00.
There is also a third scenario?

London Midland Trains EMU 350, top speed 100mph, journey time 2h 25m, return ticket £24.

Now THAT's the one I would choose.(But not on a Sunday)