View Single Post
Old 7th September 2009, 09:48

As you are obviously a fan of diesels and strongly dislike electrics I think I am wasting my time but here goes:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxwall View Post
Has electrification of the WCML and ECML acheived any significant improvements ?
Even allowing for Network Rails upgrading fiasco the train service on the WCML is faster, more frequent and cleaner than it was in steam/diesel days. I don't have much experience of the ECML but I would imagine that the same applies.
Quote:
The diesel HST provided a quality service on the existing network
Agreed, but now they are coming to the end of their working lives and the opportunity is there to replace them with something better........Lighter, cleaner, more efficient electrics!!
Quote:
The trend is to buy into this electrification ideology, but is it really worth it.
Most major countries in Europe seem to think so. If you want a frequent, fast, efficient service it's the best option. As lines become more congested the superior acceleration of electric trains is the best way to increase line capacity.
Quote:
Cheaper fares are more important than so called state of the art electric trains.
I agree that cheaper fares are important but until we change the way our railways are run you are unlikely to get them even if we were to stick with diesel traction. I see that FGW have increased many of their fares today despite being one of the biggest users of HST's.

Last edited by swisstrains; 7th September 2009 at 11:06.