View Single Post
Old 2nd June 2009, 02:11

THINGLY RAILWAY JCT (chippenham)

Thought I'd write a post on the railway yard here....

The yard here used to be used by i think Harry Needle who had sererval coaches and locomotives here for planned peservation... think it went bust or something and much of the stock was removed leaving behind 4 railway coaches, 1 green, 3 in NSE colours plus a LPG bogie tanker.. The coaches were left in the open in the shed...what i mean by that is that the shed was open at each end and only walls down the sides with damaged roofing... so it was covered in part to most weathers... this helped keep the insides of the coaches in good condition when i looked around the site in the late 90s. However, during the early 00s they coaches were moved outside into a siding with the LPG tanker, they look worse for wear for this action. (Although the green coach was left outside before this).. The yard was used for Welded rail construction in the Swindon / Westbury / Bristol area. This stopped in the mid 00's but the yard was still left with security incase of further use.

I passed there the other week and saw a line of 4 wheel waggons, made from wood. Similar to OBA waggons i think they are classified as, So presumably the role of this yard has changed from welded rails to something else related to engineering... or are these waggons now stored here? (they would have been used to carry old ballest, sleepers etc around in engineering trains)

Can anyone update me on this? Or even if theres any booked trains into and out of this yard still like the former Westbury to thingley jct train that used to run in the mornings a few years ago?