View Single Post
Old 13th January 2009, 22:45

The fare structure on the railway has always puzzled me, even though I was an RPI for a spell.

Some years ago and while I was working on the railway, my sister travelled by train from Chester to Euston without a ticket, while on her way to Essex for a family funeral and so staying for a few days. Because the train she needed was in the platform at Chester 15 minutes after getting to the station and Still in the queue trying to get a ticket, so she wanted to pay on the train. Not one member of staff walked through that train checking tickets and so upon arrival at Euston, plus being honest, she enquired where she had to pay? Because of her honesty, she was told to continue her journey without paying.

On the return leg, she ensured she Did have a ticket for the complete journey and enquiring about the difference between the single back to Chester from her then departure point, compared to the return fare she Would have paid had she got a ticket from the start was a whopping 10p.