Thread: Yellow Ends...
View Single Post
Old 15th June 2008, 13:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
It is however becoming necessary for all the modern 'electronics' to be fitted including the equivalent of the aircraft 'black box'.
Indeed, and although you probably implied it, it's worth stating that it's ONLY necessary if you want to run your loco on mainline NR metals. It adds considerably to the cost, but then you do get to run at a decent linespeed for a good distance.

I expect there's a website somewhere which says what the minmum requirements for 'Classic' traction are. I'd guess that nowadays you need at least;

1/ AWS (Automatic Warning System). The old classic - but still a 'goody'.

2/ TPWS (Train Protection & Warning System). Put briefly, it will apply the Emergency Brake if a train passes a TPWS-equipped Signal at Danger, or approaches a TPWS-equipped Signal at Danger too quickly, or approaches a TPWS-equipped Permanent Speed Restriction too quickly.
(It's worth noting that not all signals have TPWS associated with them, only the ones where a conflicting move will result in a serious collision, so even though we're in the 21st Century one train can still run into the back of another one !!)

3/ OTMR (On-Train Monitor Recorder). The equivalent of a commercial aircraft Flight Data Recorder, it records Speed, Throttle, Brake, AWS Bell/Horn, and whatever else you care to put on it.

4/ I don't know if a Radio is mandatory. Either NRN (National Radio Network) or CSR (Cab Secure Radio) depending on where you are in the country. You can get portable versions of these which are little bigger than a mobile phone, so it doesn't have to be a permanent installation.

5/ Anything else ?

Foggy

Last edited by Foghut; 15th June 2008 at 13:50.