View Single Post
Old 19th March 2008, 21:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstudent View Post
.................Will the tram-trains run down the existing train line between Meadowhall and Sheffield or use the existing tram line between Meadowhall and the city centre?
Initially the tram-trains will operate over the Network Rail line between Meadowhall and Sheffield. The publicity blurb says that a possible Phase 2 could see the tram-trains linking up with the Sheffield Supertram system.
The more I read about the project the more I'm convinced that this is simply an exercise to find a suitable replacement for "Pacers" and the likes.
I think that the DfT have looked at the proven tram-train technology in mainland Europe and recognised a cost effective way of replacing our old trains without having to go to the expense of a totally new build. Unlike most tram-trains, which usually have some electrical capability, the British ones will be 100% diesel powered and although technically still tram-trains I doubt if the ability to run over city centre tram lines is very high on their list of priorities.