View Single Post
Old 5th January 2008, 15:23

Andy,

I will own up and say that I dont recognise the names of at least 75% if the abandoned satitions on that excellent website. I would be guessing for the locations of many of the the rest of them too.

One of my favourite old station ruins is the old Gosport terminus station of the London and Portsmouth railway. The story has politics, money, petty bureacracy and a WW2 bomb. Many other old stations have facinating individual histories and can be used as a "window back in time".

I sugget you get an old railway map from approx 1948. These are often reprinted in modern books and these books then find their way into the second hand shops at railways for 50p. (someone here will probably come up with a web page) Then pick your local region or county, or perhaps get to know a long closed branch line maybe the Meon Valley line - and find out about its history and stations.

The whole railway subject is so vast and varied that most of the fun for many of us is in the finding out about and piecing together incresingly obscure stories. Just dont try to learn all of it, all at once. It is overwhelming.