Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Railway News from around the World (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Deutsche Bahn to take over Arriva (BBC News) (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=7469)

RF News 22nd April 2010 07:38

Deutsche Bahn to take over Arriva (BBC News)

UK train and bus operator Arriva agrees to be taken over by Germany's Deutsche Bahn in a deal worth £1.59bn.

More from BBC News...

Downsman 22nd April 2010 07:56

So who really did win the 1939 - 1945 War?

We will have to fight on the same side as them next time, because they now seem to own most of our public transport facilities.

oxford 22nd April 2010 10:17

Downsman you are so right,soon be time to brick up that tunnel.

Anon Mouse 22nd April 2010 13:21

lets hope the Voyagers can now be replaced by some scaled down diesel ICE's and a return of the buffet car!

klordger1900 22nd April 2010 21:33

They must be fast approaching a mega monopoly by now, it will soon be time those faceless beaks in Brussels start clamping down on this relentless use of German Taxpayers money to conquer Europe through the back door of almost every country in the EU. Is there anywhere they dont have a finger in a Euro pie??

Anon Mouse 23rd April 2010 00:52

Its Europe that is encouraging this kind of thing due to state owned companies being forced to compete in an open market throughout europe so I cant see europe clamping down on something the European Parliment has voted for.

I'm looking on th brightside, hopefully some German effeciency will make my 308 bus run on time!

Belmont Road 23rd April 2010 09:42

Arriva have not been my favourite TOC. Not too bad in Wales , but of course the Welsh Assembly plays a hand here.

Pretty bad at times with XC, which I use quite regularly. I think the Voyagers - to be fair a Virgin design - (slightly less cramped and claustrophobic than Pendelinos) were a retrograde design. Fairly OK for a short journey, very uncomfortable for long distance - for which they were designed and awful when crowded.

Planes on wheels both of them destroying the ambience of rail travel.

At least DB is rail company and runs well designed trains.

Deathbyteacup 23rd April 2010 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anon Mouse (Post 45953)
Its Europe that is encouraging this kind of thing due to state owned companies being forced to compete in an open market throughout europe so I cant see europe clamping down on something the European Parliment has voted for.

I'm looking on th brightside, hopefully some German effeciency will make my 308 bus run on time!

I can see your 308 bus becoming bright red with a {DB} logo on it one day, but otherwise being identical!

Mendipman319 23rd April 2010 16:36

sounds fun i doupbt much will change though :) the XC voyager need to be bigger because they dont have enough seats for most journeys. I go from bristol to brum on them often and they normally are doubled up and still standing room only!

Anon Mouse 23rd April 2010 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deathbyteacup (Post 45972)
I can see your 308 bus becoming bright red with a {DB} logo on it one day, but otherwise being identical!

That sounds quite cool, they used to be red in NBC days when it was United although I will miss the green and cream!