Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Freight Operations and Observations (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Two New class 70"s at stanlow oil refinery cheshire (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=7220)

saxokid 20th March 2010 22:10

Two New class 70"s at stanlow oil refinery cheshire

Saw these parked up in the sidings yesterday,in Freightliner livery!! was realy good place to view them close up.........:)

saxokid 23rd March 2010 03:12

Seen these engines again today pulling coal wagons out of the sidings.......

swisstrains 23rd March 2010 07:40

At the moment the new Class 70's are very active (and sometimes inactive, when they fail:)) on the Ellesmere Port - Fiddlers Ferry power station coal trains.
70005 failed near Warrington on one of these workings last Friday and had to be hauled into the yard by DB Schenker 67004:o

Bubblewrap 23rd March 2010 11:41

"Class 70" not a pretty sight.:eek:

14xx 23rd March 2010 19:06

Hi

I saw one pass my village the other day it was spic and span in new freightliner livery

Oliver

The Crab 24th March 2010 12:38

What's this about Ellesmere Port to Fidddler's Ferry coal trains? When did they start & how often do they run?

62440 24th March 2010 16:23

There's a photo in Railway Herald issue 214 taken March 3rd. http://www.railwayherald.com to sign up, it's a free e-mag. all the back issues are available too.

Regards, 62440.

swisstrains 25th March 2010 09:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Crab (Post 44490)
What's this about Ellesmere Port to Fidddler's Ferry coal trains? When did they start & how often do they run?

They have been running for a couple of years now. There are two return trips a day. The coal is brought down from Scotland to Ellesmere Port by sea.

The Crab 25th March 2010 12:21

Interesting. Imported via Hunterston with a ship to ship transfer?

saxokid 25th March 2010 23:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Crab (Post 44490)

So far ive seen freightliner class 66 on this Ellesmere port run,each week!! :) until the other day when i got close up on class 70.......:)

saxokid 25th March 2010 23:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by swisstrains (Post 44538)
They have been running for a couple of years now. There are two return trips a day. The coal is brought down from Scotland to Ellesmere Port by sea.

sounds interesting!! ive not been down to the Docks at Ellesmere port for while,last time i went down they were repairing the tracks and new level crossings!!:) realy good place to view the engines up close there......:)

class9 31st March 2010 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by saxokid (Post 44582)
So far ive seen freightliner class 66 on this Ellesmere port run,each week!! :) until the other day when i got close up on class 70.......:)

These trains are booked to be 66/70, so it will usually be a 70 subject to availability.

HM181 19th April 2010 16:30

Last time I went to Ellesmere Port(EP) was in the new year of 2002.
I was the guard on the LPG train from Humber oil to EP.
I signed on at 0245hrs and walked over through HM yard with the driver to relieve the Gas Tanks at at HM signal HM181.
We were routed via the L and Y through Hebden Bridge through Man Vic (0500) accross the Moss and made a left turn at the Vulcan Foundry, through Warrington, reaching Helsby Box at about 0545hrs.
On arrival at EP we propelled the 12 x101ton Tanks into the Stanlow Gas discharge facility.
We had then to pick up a VGA barrier waggon, attach to the train and place 6 tanks in each road, with the front buffers over a yellow line painted on the floor.
We applied 3 hand brakes on the trucks then it was home time.
The VGA was placed back in its siding, we then crossed over the main line into the sidings near EP depot ( closed.)
Then away to stable the loco at Warrington, then first train back to Manchester from WBQ Station.
There we caught the Airport back to Dewsbury and back to the Mill in a Greenline Taxi. Then sign off and go back to bed.
A set of men signed on at HM @ 1015hrs to travel pass to WBQ, go on the depot and pick up the loco then LD/G to Stanlow to bring out the empty tanks.
Then Depart EP at 16:02 arrive back at HM at 19:15hrs to be reld by Immingham men.
This job lasted from 1995 to 2002.
Alas now like owt else the tank waggons have been cut up and EP LPG has been demolished.
We normally had a bouncing Cl. 56 on this job.
If the driver smoked, I went in the back cab out of the way.