Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Narrow Gauge (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Welsh Narrow Gauge (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=387)

swisstrains 27th September 2006 22:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by GWR9600
Yes the WHR (Caernarfon) are going to operate trains from Caernarfon all the way through to Blaneau crossing the mainline with a mixed guaged junction and running down the street from Portmadog mainline station connecting to the Ffestiniog Railway on the 'Cob'. Thats the plan anyway......................

Have they actually been given permission to do this or is it wishful thinking? It doesn't sound like the sort of thing that would be allowed in the U.K. I shudder to think what safety precautions Network Rail and the local authorities would insist on.:(
John.

martin adamson 11th October 2006 13:22

Would there be a path for it on the mainline, if it goes at low speeds it could delay mainline rail services, sounds a very strange but interesting route.

How will they get it from Caernarfon to the main line?

swisstrains 11th October 2006 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by David A Hicks
Would there be a path for it on the mainline, if it goes at low speeds it could delay mainline rail services, sounds a very strange but interesting route.

How will they get it from Caernarfon to the main line?

David,
The Welsh Highland railway are in the process of laying 2' gauge track from Caernarfon to Porthmadog where they would like to physically link it to the existing Ffestiniog Railway. In Porthmadog the 2' gauge tracks will need to cross the NR Barmouth - Pwllheli line. This is the only point where narrow and standard gauges come together.

Trev 11th October 2006 23:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by GWR9600
Personally I dont see how it is going to be viable as I cant see many people going all the way from Caernarfon right through to Blaneau or vise vers Becuase it will cost at least £20 return and by the time youve done one round trip it will be time to go home again thus givining you no time at either end. It would be a loverly ride but would probably take you ac ouple of hours in each direction!!!:eek: :eek:

I can see what you mean, but then tourists will go on scenic coach tours with just a couple of stops for food/ toilet/ and leg stretching. My Mum and Dad do trips like that quite often and if they find themselves in Snowdonia then I'm pretty sure that they'd take the train. I'm certain, to be honest, my Mum loves trains and anyway, as soon as I found out that they were going to be in the area, I would insist that they took the ride.

Didn't know about that mixed gauge stuff though.

GWR9600 13th October 2006 08:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by swisstrains
Have they actually been given permission to do this or is it wishful thinking? It doesn't sound like the sort of thing that would be allowed in the U.K. I shudder to think what safety precautions Network Rail and the local authorities would insist on.:(
John.

I think Network Rail have agreed to it but it is a case of getting finance in place to enable them to do so.

John H-T 13th October 2006 13:11

I thought it was all a done deal with all the finance, permisions etc. in position.

pavorossi 13th October 2006 18:43

I was reading in this months Steam Railway that the nessecary track has now been manufactured.

Adam

swisstrains 31st October 2006 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by pavorossi
I was reading in this months Steam Railway that the nessecary track has now been manufactured.

Adam

It still surprises me that the project is going ahead but it looks like the new flat crossing at Porthmadog is about to be installed within the next week.
The WHR have set up a webcam at the work site:

DSY011 31st October 2006 10:20

Page 15 of The Railway Herald (issue 59) has a photo of the crossing. Built by Cours Rail, it is a unique crossing.
http://www.railwayherald.co.uk/BackIssues/Issue59.pdf
Syd

swisstrains 2nd November 2006 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by swisstrains
................... it looks like the new flat crossing at Porthmadog is about to be installed within the next week.........

Looking at the pictures from the webcam the crossing appears to have been installed today.