Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Railway Stations (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Great Central Railway (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=13088)

eagle125 20th February 2014 14:41

Great Central Railway

Hi There,
Has anyone been to Loughborough to visit the set up there , it looks good on the website
Cheers Eagle:)

46232 20th February 2014 15:20

I was there for the recent Winter Gala, and it's well worth a visit. Loughborough Station is superb now that the platform canopies have been refurbished, and being a main line station it has a different atmosphere toother preserved line stations . An added bonus is that the Shed/ Workshop is, I think, normally open to the public, at least it has been on all my visits, and is full to bursting with locos undergoing restoration

pbowler 20th February 2014 16:37

Excellent preserved railway, I went twice last year and have been once this year up to now. Well worth a visit, you won't regret it.

HM181 20th February 2014 19:28

You will have to keep your eyes open for GPO trains running through catch points.

Playin trains.

pre65 20th February 2014 19:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by HM181 (Post 79748)
You will have to keep your eyes open for GPO trains running through catch points.

Playin trains.

So HM181, are you suggesting that "mistakes" don't happen on "real" railways ?;)

pbowler 21st February 2014 11:15

Nothing unreal about the GCR pre65.

pre65 21st February 2014 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbowler (Post 79758)
Nothing unreal about the GCR pre65.

Oh I wholeheartedly agree, just using the term as referred to (playing trains) in the post I was answering.;)

Silver Fox Phil 24th February 2014 13:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by eagle125 (Post 79740)
Hi There,
Has anyone been to Loughborough to visit the set up there , it looks good on the website
Cheers Eagle:)

Being a member I am bound to say its good! However don't just take my word for it, it's brilliant if your looking for continuous action. Best place to be on a gala day beside Loughborough, is Quorn. The action there is every few minutes, in fact it's busier than when it was a mainline station. That's mainly down to it being a double track line from Loughborough to Rothley. There is an unmissable day on the 10th and 11th May when the Swithland sidings will be open to the public. It's a brilliant show with action on two mainline tracks and two loops, beside the branch line to Mountsorral.
I'm sure you will find it fast and furious with as many as eight loco's in steam!
Hope to see you there one day
All the best
Phil

pbowler 24th February 2014 14:39

I agree with Phil it's very well run, and the trains are on time.

Steveaki13 13th March 2014 08:22

I visited in October last year and its a lovely base now.

The station is fully done up and a nice little walk down from the platforms to the sheds and yard.

Whether that is open regularly though or just for Gala's? I am not sure.

All stations on the GCR are nice. Although I always felt Leicester was a bit out on its own as maybe operations finish at and turn at Rothley.