Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Virtual Railways (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Well I've gone and done it! (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=3279)

Dawnrider 5th November 2008 11:06

Well I've gone and done it!

We have bought EA Games Rail Simulator from Amazon. Hopefully it should run OK on our laptop (we ran a test on EA Games website) I've never tried one of these things,I'm hoping I can model all the steam locos I have in my gallery,or at least some of them...

Dawnrider 7th November 2008 13:26

Help

Oh bu**er. Installed it,got the start screen and selected a route(Newcastle to York) but can't get it to work. I get the Choose loco screen and can move round the scene with the mouse but can't get any further. Tried clicking on a train,or a sign,nothing. Looks like it aint gonna work on our Vista equipped laptop!

Deathbyteacup 8th November 2008 12:45

What spec is your laptop?

I find it runs much better on my Windows XP partition than Windows Vista. The game does take a lot of power to run.

Sounds like you're in the game though. You double click a loco you want to drive in free play mode, in a senario you're already in control of that loco.

There is a leaflet with the game showing the game and loco controls.

Dawnrider 8th November 2008 12:53

Err its square and has keys and a screen-lol
Its ok we got it working. We went on EA Games's site and downloaded an update. It works but is a bit slow,our laptop is a little under power.(an Acer Aspire 5315 with 1 gig Ram)

Deathbyteacup 9th November 2008 21:23

That's cool.

Like I say, Vista is the bigger problem, games perform much better in XP for me, so I keep both OS's on my laptop.

You can turn the graphic levels in the options down to get frame rate back, by the way.

meurglysIII 23rd November 2008 13:57

Is anyone running Microsoft Train Simulator under Vista? I don't think they've released a vista-compatible version yet, tho they have with Flight Simulator.

I wanted to get this rather than the other sims as I believe it has more add-ons, the ELR/Bury diesel group do a few interesting ones, though I too am new to Rail sims.

Any advice? I have a new Sony Vaio laptop, couldn't really tell you the spec offhand though.

Dawnrider 23rd November 2008 15:16

Well Railway Simulator from EA Games runs fine on Vista-once you download the updates-and I now I have Trainz 2004 too!

hotel mode 23rd November 2008 21:10

Quote:

Is anyone running Microsoft Train Simulator under Vista? I don't think they've released a vista-compatible version yet, tho they have with Flight Simulator.
Yes no problems at all on vista 32, just need to run as administrator.

47810/828 24th November 2008 11:37

can you get a simulator for wii?

Trev 5th January 2009 00:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by 47810/828 (Post 21186)
can you get a simulator for wii?

That would be interesting...having to make coal shovelling motions with the wii remote!