Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Railway News from around the World (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   G.W.R. Electrification (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=8867)

DaveJ 23rd November 2010 17:32

G.W.R. Electrification

Very strong rumours coming out of the DofT that Thursday 25th November will see an announcement saying that the electrification of Brunels line will go ahead. This should see Paddington - Bristol,and also Cardiff under the wires.
The down side to the story is that they are considering ordering 5 coach trains from Hitachi - presumably with the intention of doubling up trains for busy periods. One is tempted to ask,have we learnt nothing from the debacle of the Voyagers ?
We'll wait and see,but I for one can't help feeling that this could be a lost opportunity - do hope I'm wrong.

Tony 23rd November 2010 17:44

Having recently been a regular traveller on FGW; how can anyone think that five coach trains will suffice on this route? Nearly every HST is full with many services having standing passengers.
Does this mean that passengers for Devon & Cornwall will have to change trains at Bristol ?

Mendipman319 23rd November 2010 18:17

It would make sence to me to have 5 coach trains only if they ran trains more rugulary. I think they should make the most of the long platforms from the HST's and have atleast 7 carriages!

ACE 23rd November 2010 20:17

will believe it when I see it happening, hope it does though!

boilersuit 23rd November 2010 20:38

Electrification of the GW main line? I don't think I'll see it in my lifetime. And I have a few years left in me yet, I hope.

oxford 24th November 2010 10:18

So 5 coach trains on the western, pack them in like cattle.

ccmmick 24th November 2010 10:57

I think it will be a very long time before it happens but if and when it does happen oxford will have to get a pantograph fitted on his co-op van :) :).

ccmmick.

Madcaravanner 24th November 2010 11:40

So they are going to electrify the GWR and Midland Main lines I'm a lot younger than some of you guys and don't expect work starting this side of 2020
As for 5 coach units they are liked by rail management because they are cheaper than 7 or 9 which is actually whats needed for passenger numbers. So for some services they will just couple 2 together (but try to use just one crew to man it) but they won't do all of them just observe the Class 222 services Sheffield to St Pancras most are 5 car just occassional ones are 2 units coupled together.
Also note the XCountry 221/220 services Scotland - South West apart from 2 services running HST's there are just 4 timetabled runs which call for a 220+221 coupled together giving a 9 car unit (occasionally due to maintainence you get 2x221's or 2x220).

It would be nice to see other TOC's behaving like East Midland Trains who have a choice of 9car 5car or 4car sets to choose from depending on loading forecasts, I doubt that Arriva/Cross Country ever will as they do things as cheap as possible.

5701 24th November 2010 22:19

Typical DFT as usual everything on the cheap they obviously have ignored the traffic figures from FGW when will the TOC,s be allowed to obtain there own stock and not be micromanaged by civil servants.Evidently Mr Shooter on Chiltern is pressing for the wires to go up bet he wont accept short trains on his lines!Cant see the wires going up for quite a while yet surely they should be carried on to Exeter as this a busy part of the network.Also the obvious solution would be loco hauled but the DFT dont like this solution it works on the continent but thats across the channell and couldnt possibly work in the UK coud it?Will the electrification be carried out in a similar way to the East Coast iewire spans across the track hope it will be better than that carried out north of Newcastle with all its attendant problems in high winds etc.Still think the Midland should be prioritised as it offers better value and could be extended to the East Coast at Leeds thus giving better value for money.

DaveJ 25th November 2010 09:32

Typically half-axxed political announcement this morning - claiming glory for projects already underway (Thameslink,what were they going to do,cancel it !!),promising lots of new carriages (most already on order),fudging the GWR electrification (no doubt waiting for the Japanese government to o.k. the North East factory financing) and,to please the commuters (expecting an early election Mr Cameron ?) putting up the wires to Oxford and Newbury.
Still,it's a start,I suppose.