Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Light Rail and Metros (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Turin VAL system opens (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=324)

dario 6th February 2006 20:53

Turin VAL system opens

The Turin VAL rubber-tyre metro system is due to open this week just before the inauguration of the winter olympics.

DSY011 6th February 2006 22:09

Dario,
Have you got your ticket yet, I'm hoping for a good report on the new system with photos
Syd

Trev 6th February 2006 23:35

What does VAL mean?

dario 7th February 2006 20:59

Good question, Trev. The answer is ... I cant remember it right now.
It surely is a french language acronym for this kind of rubber-tyre metro, but its interesting it is not french anymore: the technology is now owned by Siemens of Germany and its assembled in Eastern Europe.
Give me time to see the Siemens web-site.

dario 7th February 2006 21:06

1 Attachment(s)
Val - Fully Automated Metro System (from the Siemens site)

Developed by Siemens Transportation Systems (STS), Paris, the Val (Véhicule Automatique Léger) is the first fully automated light metro, without driver or attendant on bord the vehicle. From the control center, only a few operators supervise the whole entire system.

Since its introduction in 1983, the Val system is continuously being upgraded and perfected, thus regularly providing a higher level of comfort and safety. Today, the new generation of Val (Val 208 and Val 258) provides the appropriate solution for cities and airports to meet their transportation needs.

Attachment 19

dario 7th February 2006 21:10

Now, I guess you are disappointed, albeit the VAL isnt a railway and isnt a train, its a mass transportation system better than buses though, and all electric.

DSY011 7th February 2006 21:18

Dario,
No I'm not disappointed at all. I think it is the way to go for city transport. Clean, quick and should keep a lot of cars off the road. As it is low in manpower it should also be cheap to staff. Just two questions, Where do they keep the spare wheel and if there is no driver, who will change the wheel when it gets a flat? (grin)
Syd

dario 7th February 2006 21:22

The Turin Val system, 7.5 km long (less than 5 miles) has been officially inaugurated Saturday 4th last, by the Italian Minister of Transport, the Mayor of Turin, the President of GTT (Group of Turin Transport), and the President and the Vice President of Siemens Transportation.
About a report from me on the spot, dont count on it.
I am not going to quit work for going to the olympics.
I'll see what I can manage from home.
Olympic cheers!

dario 7th February 2006 21:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSY011
Dario,
No I'm not disappointed at all. I think it is the way to go for city transport. Clean, quick and should keep a lot of cars off the road. As it is low in manpower it should also be cheap to staff. Just two questions, Where do they keep the spare wheel and if there is no driver, who will change the wheel when it gets a flat? (grin)
Syd

That's what I would like to see, Syd.
Of course, there's got to be a fast service team on call from the Control Room to do just that, and fix any other emergency.

dario 7th February 2006 21:45

1 Attachment(s)
And this is Turin's VAL.
Attachment 20

dario 11th February 2006 19:25

1 Attachment(s)
This picture from www.ferrovie.it does better justice to see the track and the bogie with the horizontal steering wheels.
Attachment 21

Trev 14th February 2006 00:50

Thanks for your answer Dario.

Like you say, it's not a train, but I still think it looks pretty good. I would love to see systems such as this across the UK. God knows why we ever got rid of trams and trolleybuses.

Albula 27th February 2006 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trev
Thanks for your answer Dario.

Like you say, it's not a train, but I still think it looks pretty good. I would love to see systems such as this across the UK. God knows why we ever got rid of trams and trolleybuses.

We got rid of them because the car was going to bring us new found freedom!
Having spent Saturday advoiding the M11 closures adding an extra hours journey to get home from London I wish that our country would look at the long term instead of short term solutions.

Trev 28th February 2006 00:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albula
We got rid of them because the car was going to bring us new found freedom!
Having spent Saturday advoiding the M11 closures adding an extra hours journey to get home from London I wish that our country would look at the long term instead of short term solutions.

That's politics for you Albula! :D :(

dario 1st March 2006 20:13

Our politicians also insisted and acted successfully against railways and tramways. Now they look for the "iron cure".

dario 29th March 2006 20:48

Turin VAL system has counted its first million passenger on Sunday 19th March, just after seven weeks since opening, stabilizing on 24,000 pax/d.

DSY011 29th March 2006 21:21

Dario
That's one heck of a lot of cars that are not on the roads. As Albula said "I wish that our country would look at the long term instead of short term solutions". Today Bristol came to a stand still again for the 3rd time this week as the city became grid locked. Not only do we have the country's longest contraflow on the M5 (9 miles @ 40 and 50 mph) but the M32 and the M4 around Bristol has road works with 50 mph limits. Topping this all off, the shopping centre of Bristol is one big building site with what was 4 lanes of traffic from the M32 now down to 1 lane.
Please Please Please can we have a VAL system in Bristol
Syd

dario 1st April 2006 22:01

Syd,
I just looked at Bristol using Google Earth.
Quite a beautiful City.
As usual, it is difficult to "track" the railway lines where they really are.
I see you have a X-shape railway network.
Perhaps it needs integration with a "ring" underground.
This is the "iron cure" I would suggest for this City.
Unfortunately I only am a visionary train lover, and cannot influence any decision maker.
Nevertheless, I keep at it.
I hope to ear again from you.
Good bye from Dario

dario 5th April 2006 20:50

On Monday 3rd April, preliminary work has started on the VAL underground South-extension, approx. 2.5 miles.
Tunnel Boring Machines will get into action by the end of this year.
The work is to be finished in 3 years time.
This remains to be seen to be believed.

dario 11th May 2006 21:32

Sunday 14 May will see the first Turin VAL open day with guided visits to the Traffic Control Room, the Depot, the Workshop, and the Test Track, from 9,30 am to 5,30 pm.

Pop Alexandra 14th April 2021 07:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by dario (Post 1879)
Turin VAL system has counted its first million passenger on Sunday 19th March, just after seven weeks since opening, stabilizing on 24,000 pax/d.

Not bad. I assume it makes all the difference in terms of comfort and environmental impact, too.