Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Diesel & Electric Discussion (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Deltics...Renumbered? (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=6259)

Trev 8th December 2009 00:31

Deltics...Renumbered?

I was told today of a rumour that a deltic had been seen in 1980/81 after it had been scrapped. Of course, the only way that that could have happened is if one of the survivors was given the identity of one of those already scrapped. I was given no other details at all.

Has anyone else heard of this?

pavorossi 8th December 2009 10:39

If this is the story I think it is, the loco was 55020 Nimbus. It's well known as a railway ghost story. I've heard two versions of this, one where it was seen hauling a train along the East Coast, and another where it was spotted outside Crewe Station.

pre65 8th December 2009 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by pavorossi (Post 35736)
If this is the story I think it is, the loco was 55020 Nimbus. It's well known as a railway ghost story. I've heard two versions of this, one where it was seen hauling a train along the East Coast, and another where it was spotted outside Crewe Station.

It's in the "Strategic reserve" to replace the steam locos that were cut up !:D

Rassy 8th December 2009 16:48

55020 'Nimbus'? It got preserved in 1981. I saw it at Old Oak Common open day in 1996. Not sure who owns it or where it is currently based...but it definitely survived.

I'll google it and tell you where it lives.

Eccles71B 8th December 2009 17:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rassy (Post 35750)
55020 'Nimbus'? It got preserved in 1981. I saw it at Old Oak Common open day in 1996. Not sure who owns it or where it is currently based...but it definitely survived.

I'll google it and tell you where it lives.

Wikipedia would suggest otherwise http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_55

Dave Rowland 8th December 2009 17:04

55020/D9020 Nimbus was withdrawn on 5th January 1980, and scrapped. Sorry to disappoint you.

Rassy 8th December 2009 17:13

Nimbus definitely exists I saw it with my own eyes. I thought that was common knowledge?

I might be wrong but I think it's stored at MoD Ashchurch in an aircraft hanger, but i'm still researching it.

p.s.
Everybody knows Wikipedia is a complete joke. No offense but you should stop being so lazy and learn how to conduct a proper research.

pavorossi 8th December 2009 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rassy (Post 35754)
Nimbus definitely exists I saw it with my own eyes. I thought that was common knowledge?

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but Nimbus was cut up. Below is a paragrpah that I copied from the Deltic Preservation Societys website.

The first two Deltics to be withdrawn were 55001 'St Paddy' and 55020 'Nimbus' on January 5th 1980, although neither of these locos had worked since March 1978. Both were cut up by the end of the month. The next casualty was 55003 'Meld' which was withdrawn on 30th December 1980 at York followed by 55005 and 55006 in February 1981 at York. 55012 ‘Crepello’ was next being withdrawn at FP on May 18th followed by 55018 ‘Ballymoss at York on October 18th.

Rassy 8th December 2009 17:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by pavorossi (Post 35756)
I'm sorry to disappoint you, but Nimbus was cut up.

How do you know it was cut up? Were you there? Did you watch them do it with your own eyes?

Sorry to disappoint YOU but I saw it and it survives to this day. Back in 1981 before Wikipedia, internet forums, websites, mobile phones AND preservation societies, it's not inconceivable that a loco earmarked for scrapping slipped through the net and got purchased by a rich enthusiast, without too many people knowing about it.

I'm really surprised nobody on this forum is backing me up!

I'm gonna prove this thing exists and then i'll hunt you all down so you can buy me a beer.

pre65 8th December 2009 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rassy (Post 35757)
How do you know it was cut up? Were you there? Did you watch them do it with your own eyes?

Sorry to disappoint YOU but I saw it and it survives to this day. Back in 1981 before Wikipedia, internet forums, websites, mobile phones AND preservation societies, it's not inconceivable that a loco earmarked for scrapping slipped through the net and got purchased by a rich enthusiast, without too many people knowing about it.

I'm really surprised nobody on this forum is backing me up!

I'm gonna prove this thing exists and then i'll hunt you all down so you can buy me a beer.

I would love you to be right !:D